The Space Generation Advisory Council will this year sponsor four student or young professionals through the donation from its former Executive Director Dr Chris Boshuizen.
The rest of this post content has been collected from the official site.
SGC/IAC 2022] Chris Boshuizen scholarship call
Thanks to the generous donation of Dr Chris Boshuizen, former SGAC Executive Director and co-founder of Planet, SGAC will bring four students or young professionals to attend the 20th Space Generation Congress (September 14-16) and the 73rd International Astronautical Congress (September 18-22) in Paris, France.
Application Deadline: 30th of May 2022 23:59 GMT
The Space Generation Congress (SGC) is the annual meeting of the Space Generation Advisory Council held in conjunction with the International Astronautical Congress. Participants are selected top university students and young professionals with a passion for space. With SGC, SGAC aims to hone and promote the voice of the next generation of space sector leaders on the topic of international space development.
By attending the Space Generation Congress (SGC), delegates will learn, share their knowledge, network with fellow students and young professionals in the space industry, and meet the industry’s leaders and experts.
All output produced by the Space Generation Congress (SGC) is compiled into a report to be presented at the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space, as well as other conferences around the World.
This year SGC’s theme is Diversity, Access and Inclusion. Learn more: https://spacegeneration.org/sgc2022
The award will support four persons to attend the following events:
- 20th Space Generation Congress: September 14-16, 2022
- 73rd International Astronautical Congress: September 18-22, 2022
The grant will be provided as total or partial reimbursement up to a maximum amount of USD 3,000 to cover:
- Round trip travel costs to Paris, France, via economy airfare
- Lodging at the official SGC hotel
- Visa costs (if any)
- Space Generation Congress registration fee
- International Astronautical Congress registration fee
- Local transportation
- COVID related costs (if any)
How to Apply
To apply, you will need to prepare the following documents:
- A 1-minute video: Topic – “Tell us about the idea/project you intend to pitch at SGC & IAC which will make an impact in your country”
- A recent resume (2 pages max, font size 12)
All submissions must be made by using the Scholarship Submission Form.
Please submit your documents as unlocked PDF files. Your name should be included at the top of all pages.
Your submission should follow the competition guidelines below.
- The scholarship is open to all students and young professionals from any country, but a stronger preference will be given to applicants from (space) emerging countries.
- Participants must be eligible SGAC members (registered on the SGAC website) between the age of 18 and 35 years as of the 4th of April, 2022.
- Participants must have not attended SGC before.
- Competition judges are ineligible for the award.
- Winners should not receive support from any other source for the event. Should the winners receive such support midway through the program, SGAC should be informed and a solution will be sought
In the interest of spreading opportunities to more members, SGAC reserves the right to prioritise applicants who have not recently received another SGAC scholarship of a similar nature. “Recently” is defined as having received a travel grant in the past 2 years, in the same category (either international or regional/national) as this posted award. International awards include scholarships for international events such as SGC/IAC, SGFF and Space Symposium, while regional/national awards refer to events, such as the Space Generation Workshops (SGW), national space generation events (SG[country]) or other regional or national conferences. In the event that the SGC 2021 is forced to be held online due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this scholarship will not be counted as an international travel grant, and winners are eligible to apply for another travel grant in the next 2 years.
- The language of all submissions must be English.
- All submissions must be made by the 30th of May 2022, 23:59 GMT. Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
Responsibilities of the Winners
The winner shall:
- Attend the entire 20th Space Generation Congress
- Support the running of the 20th Space Generation Congress. These tasks offer great opportunities such as being the rapporteur of a 20th Space Generation working group and helping with writing a group report.
- Contribute to the SGC 2022 final report
- Submit a short video (1 min) describing their experience at the 20th Space Generation Congress and the 73rd International Astronautical Congress for inclusion on the SGAC website, newsletter or social media and that of our partners. Example of content: speakers that were particularly interesting, group discussions that stood out or other event highlights.
All responsibilities shall be fulfilled and reports etc. submitted not later than the 15th of October 2022. In case the scholarship awardee(s) do(es) not complete the scholarship requirements on time, the scholarship funds will be transferred to SGAC general budget to continue supporting the mission and work of SGAC.
These tasks offer great opportunities such as being the rapporteur of an SGC working group and helping with writing a group report, being the front face of SGAC at the SGAC booth and meeting interesting people.
- The award will be paid out after the SGC 2022 and the 73rd International Astronautical Congress, no later than 30 days after fulfillment of all responsibilities listed above.
- The scholarship award reimbursement is conditioned on the awardee fulfilling the scholarship requirements not later than October 15th 2022.
- In case the winner receives funding for SGC or International Astronautical Congress by any other organisation, the Scholarships Coordinators shall be informed. If the applicants don’t inform the Scholarships Coordinators, SGAC holds the right to not reimburse the winning author. SGAC aims to reduce the number of double scholarships and will work with the winners to develop a solution in these cases.
- Applicants are advised to not engage any expenses until they have formal confirmation that the competition has been awarded. The SGAC is not liable for any expenses incurred by applicants in any case where competition is not awarded, or in excess of the value of the awarded grant.
- Reimbursements will follow the SGAC Scholarships Travel Policy & Reimbursement Guidelines. Please make sure to consult the Guidelines before incurring in expenses. Please, note that on top of the items mentioned in the SGAC Scholarships Reimbursement guidelines, this scholarship also covers local transport and meals up to USD 3000.
Copyright and Intellectual Property
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit the SGAC to use their names, affiliations, and headshot photo in connection with the scholarship.
- Copyright of the submitted entry shall remain with the contestants. However, by submitting an entry all contestants agree that SGAC and all affiliated organisers are granted non-exclusive reproduction rights regarding all submitted papers. SGAC and all affiliated organisers may also present ideas and findings generated by this competition at relevant conferences.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that SGC 2022 and/or IAC 2022 is cancelled.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend SGC 2022 and/or IAC 2022 or is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in such a case the award offer shall become void.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner cannot obtain any necessary travel documents (visas etc). If such required documents are not obtained prior to planned travel, the award shall become void.
- The award is non-transferable and not valid for another event or individual.
- Following the Reimbursement Guidelines, in the event that event or travel cannot take place due to unforeseeable circumstances (force majeure), including but not limited to illness, death, or weather, the Scholarship Holder will be responsible to try to recover costs through any available travel insurance or trip cancellation insurance. SGAC may reimburse the remaining amount not covered by insurance.
Evaluators will include members of the SGAC scholarships team and representatives of the scholarship supporter.
The overall evaluation will consider:
- Applicant’s CV and past experiences (35%)
- Video (35%)
- Applicant’s Nationality and presence of space opportunities in the same (30%)
|Submission Deadline:||30th of May 2022, 23:59 GMT|
|Announcement of Results:||15th of June 2022|
For any questions, please refer to SGAC Scholarships Team (email@example.com).