The GIS Certification Institute is hosting their annual Map Contest for 2021 which has already began and will be closing on the 30th of April 2021.
This is a great chance for the folks who took notice of the current, ongoing and about to end Cartography MOOC by ESRI which started off in February. Basing on all the content that has been delivered to the attendees of this CartoMOOC, we highly encourage you to scope this opportunity for yourself.
So here is some information that we have managed to extract from their website with regards to the contest:
GISCI hosts an annual map competition inviting members of the GIS community to submit and share a map of their creation.
The subject matter, style, and choice of platform/tools are entirely up to you. Showcase your cartographic creativity!
Who can enter? We welcome everyone from the GIS community to participate from students to seasoned professionals. We are offering two contest divisions, one for students (undergraduate and graduate) and one for professionals. Those on the judging team for the contest cannot enter.
Map specifications for entries:
- Use of any software is allowed to create your map with the exception of online map portals such as Google Maps or Bing Maps, due to copyright and permission restrictions.
- File size cannot exceed 16 mb.
- Map submissions should be in PDF format, with a minimum size of 11”x17” and maximum size of 36″x48″ (Architectural E).
- All entries will need to submit FGDC compliant metadata in either an html or text format. The metadata should include what software products were used, full metadata for all data sources, and a brief description of the methodology that was used to create the map.
Prizes: There are TWO competitions, one for students and one for professionals. Both offer the same prizes:
- 1st Place: $250
- 2nd Place: $150
- 3rd Place: $100
Additionally, each award winner will have fees waived related to their GISP certification!
- First-time GISP applicants: your initial application fee and portfolio review fee will be waived when submitted (a $200 value)
- Current GISPs: your renewal fees will be wavied at your next recertification date (a $285 value)
And don’t forget that your map submission for the contest qualifies for points under the Contribution to the Profession category in your GISP Portfolio!
Maps produced for the contest do not need to be produced with any particular software, but do note that for those who use Esri products and place 1st-3rd, their maps will be entered and displayed at the Esri User Conference.
Entry Deadline: Submission is open through April 30, 2021. Only one entry per contestant will be accepted.
Judging Criteria: The GISCI Outreach Committee will determine the top 3 in each contest. Each of the following elements will be weighted the same with a maximum score of 5 points awarded per element:
- Accuracy – grammar, punctuation, spelling
- Design/Layout – logical organization and visual flow of text and graphics
- Legibility – text font, text size, figures, tables, and graphics
- Visual Appeal – color coordination, geometry, accents, highlights, use of symbology
- Effective communication – understandable and concise
- Effective use of Geographic Information – appropriate use and portrayal of spatial data
- Originality – unique presentation
Map Contest Rules:
- Only one entry is allowed per person.
- Maps and Winner’s names will be published on the GISCI website.
- Winners will be required to provide a release to use their map image.
Ready to take up the challenge and put those #Carto skills to good use? You can sign-up and submit your maps over their website by clicking here.
GOOD LUCK #CartoNerds